Saturday, July 19, 2008

Deal with it!

"Never give up, and always be yourself, because life is too short to be anyone else."

In time the diagnosis whirlwind does also settle down. Then you are inevitably left to pick up the splintered pieces. Your family, your loved ones would also help to shift the dirt in looking for those gems, those pearls that used to be you. But cancer, it's a thief. It steals time. It steals hope, happiness among many other things. In the end even if you lovingly stick together all those bits and pieces you are left incomplete. Changed rather. (As I'd like to put it). And the trick here is to deal with that. What I did then was to simply appreciate what I have, instead of lamenting on what I didn't. If you have that sort of mindset you'd be amazed at the clarity with which you start to see yourself. I saw all the love and courage around me, which is the most prized thing I still treasure. I saw that CML was not going to affect my life, my health. I saw that outwardly nothing really had changed. It was only me, my mind that needed some maneuvering. Then I realised that in contrast how little CML had lessened me.

Cancer can change you for the better too. I'm not that shallow materialistic, wannabe' kid anymore, I'm much more circumspect now. Its a miracle in itself the simple joy I can take from watching a simple cloud formation in the sky. (that dork who was looking up, that you bumped into you, just might have been me)
Sigh... All I want to say is 'I am better because of cancer'. As hard as that is to digest. I now pray attention to what really matters. It's been a wake up call to a new way of life and new way of seeing things!

CML has done amazing things, miracles for me...
I am about 5 shades lighter (skin colour) because of the medicine I take for it. (the girls are way jeolous about this); then I have a heavenly girl-friend who stands by me, who I found in part due to CML.
But those story is for another post. Await...


Third of a series of posts archived "Genesis"

  1. Diagnosis
  2. Post-diagnosis
  3. Deal with it!

2 comments:

Now you say something...