Thursday, July 10, 2008

Post-diagnosis

"The only thing worse than having a cancer is getting the Diagnosis!"

Really? Not so. Not with me, and not with the majority of people out there. Accepted, the family wants to shield the patient from the diagnosis to provide protection from the emotional backlash. But we are an intelligent group, patients these days; we want to know what we're dealing with. We need to come to terms with it, confront it head on. Then either let it overwhelm us or conqueror over it. It's our diagnosis.

It winded me, my big diagnosis. Certainly I was not expecting it. I was numbed for a while, for quite a while. The "why me?" syndrome inevitably crept in.I was treading on loose ground, loosing my feet in the mountain climb of happiness. I couldn't hold on to anybody. They were too weak, too vulnerable, too happy. How was I to show that I was affected?

In the end it had to come from myself to myself, the thoughts...
"You know what dude? You at least have got something with a hippy name attached. And you may accept it now for a fact, cause it's not going to change. All this bull about it can't be me can take a flying leap into the paper basket. Yah, we'd not smoked, done the liq. So it paid off eh, maybe it prolonged this from happening, or prevented any suffering. Maybe all our exercise with diet and meditation even squeezed in a few more golden years"

It took three months, this paradigm shift for me. Becoming a "why not me?". Becoming chummy with CML. Grinning at it's face. Welcoming it when it daily pops into life.

This is another Shift in the fabric... Blogging about it. Anoynymously even though.

That will be the last, having the confidence to stand up and yell "Yes, I'm me and I have CML!". I'm working at it.


Second of a series of posts archived "Genesis"
  1. Diagnosis
  2. Post-diagnosis

5 comments:

  1. Hope dies last my friend... We all die, one way or the other, but cancer invokes a deadly fear for life.. the idea that doom is eminent. Facing it upright like you have decided is THE way to go. Its not about bravery.. its not about dying, its all about living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are a joy to read. I discovered you at My Crazy Sexy Life. Those of us with cancer have a big choice to make.. to spend the rest of our life dying or to go on living. I choose to live as well and be happy in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - just foudn your new blog

    quick hello from another CML blogger

    http://cmlblog.spaces.live.com

    feel free if you want to contact me to discuss anything, was dx'd in December 2006, now doing well on Imatinib/gleevec PCR = 0.4

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luna,
    Thank you for your words, I am still not quite at terms with 'My Crazy Sexy Life'..wink..
    Keep reading and do comment.


    cmlblogger,
    I followed your link and your site is great with a wealth of information. But was ruffled to find that I could not post a comment there, due to it being an MSN site. N' way I will be sure to drop in.

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...